Thursday, July 24, 2008

No Matter What Anybody Tells You, Words and Ideas can Change the World.

Two posts in two days! Must be a record! (Or a really slow week at work.)

Kudos to anyone who can tell me what movie the quote in my title is from. And double Kudos to anyone who can tell me who said it.

Not that the title has much of anything to do with this post, but I do like it. And, well, words are related I guess.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately (since Summer is by far the best time to read), and when I'm doing that much reading, I tend to get the witting bug too. I do like to write. I always have. Even when I was little, I can remember making up stories and writing them down. These days I don't write too much, but every once in awhile I will get the urge and when I do, I always start to wonder if I'm really as good of a writer as I think I am.

Now, I don't see myself as being some kind of awesome writer. I don't expect that people are marveled by my exceptional word crafting skills. But I do think that I am better than the average bear when it comes to putting pen to paper. That assumption is based mostly on the comments made to me all through high school and college about how good my writing was. Especially in college, I rarely had a paper returned where the professor had not made some comment about how well written it was (even if they were sometimes given low marks for being off topic).

But these days I sometimes wonder if my stuff was really that good or if the professors had just slogged through so many poorly written essays that when they found someone who had a good grasp of grammar, syntax, and structure, they found the work to be exceptional. Not that I have the best grammar skills, but I do know what "sounds right" and I am just a bit of a perfectionist so I can be very anal about my word choices. I also have (at least I've been told I have) a very clear voice in my writing.

I don't' know. Maybe I do have a good voice. Maybe I can blame it on KERA and all those stupid portfolios we had to do in high school. Or maybe I was just born with it (instead of the spelling gene). Who knows.

But whatever the truth is, I do know that I enjoy writing and I tended to do well on writing assignments when I was in school. So maybe I am a decent writer. Or maybe I'm not. Only time will tell I suppose.

No comments: