Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Caliparication

So, unless you have been living under a rock for the last few days, you know that UK fired Billy G on Friday and that yesterday they announced John Calipari was the new coach. Now, I'll admit that I liked Billy G when they first hired him, but the honeymoon ended and things went south pretty swiftly, so I'm pretty happy with this hire.

In fact, Coach Cal coming to Kentucky has me more excited about Kentucky Basketball than I have been sine 1998 when Tubby and the Comeback Cats won the title. I can't wait for next year!

He is an experienced coach who has taken two different teams to the final four. He has proven to be a great recruiter. He is charismatic. He loves the spotlight. He is saying all the right things.

Am I concerned about some of the issues with the NCAA in the past? Yeah. But from everything I've read and heard, his name is clean. And I imagine that Barnhart and Todd will keep a close eye on things. So, no one is perfect, and we have to accept that.

But this guy seems like a pretty darn good fit for us. Let's just hope he lives up to all the hype.

Ryan Parker did a pretty good job with this video:

No comments: