Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Holiday Party Fun

Since this is my first post and because I've found that it is best to be upfront about things here is a list of things you REALLY need to know about me:

I live with a fish named Mojo and a very tiny turtle named Dean.

I work in science which basically means that I spend a good part of my time playing with Mice and the rest of it playing babysitter to the graduate students, postdocs, and scientists that I work with.

My best friend and my (only, younger) sister both have the same name (Jenny) which tends to confuse the heck out of people, but oh well...

I can't spell to save my life.

Mom died about 4 years ago from Ovarian Cancer and my Dad is engaged to a wonderful woman (Kathy). I can't be flip about this one and it's one of those things that is so totally awkward to bring up, but I've found it's much better to get it out of the way early and avoid weird questions.

Now that that's out of the way....

It's Christmas time which means it's time for that most wonderful of all holiday traditions--the Department Holiday (read Christmas) party. We can't call it the Christmas Party anymore because not everyone celebrates Christmas, but everyone knows that's what it is. Now, I have it on good authority that not all Work parties are as fun as mine, but this is usually one of the most entertaining events of the year. What can I say, Science Geeks like to party.

Before I launch into the fun filled events of this year's gathering, I need to make sure that everyone understands the background (ie what went on at last year's party). Last year, the husband of one of the girls that I work with decided he wanted to set me up with one of the microscope reps that gets invited to every event my department hosts. Scopeman and I had met at my last job (which I left because of Crazy Boss) and we didn't get along very well. I wanted to avoid Scopeman at all costs, but Husband thought that Scopeman and I would make a wonderful couple (this is why you should never go to a Holiday party without a date). After much pushing, poking, prodding and middle school-like going between, Husband managed to clear up a lot of the issues between Scopeman and me. When Scopeman cornered me at the bar and offered to buy me a drink, I said yes, and we had a nice (if somewhat drunk on his part) talk while I finished my drink. It all felt very weird, but it was Christmas and all...

After the party last year, Scopeman decided that we needed to play the "I don't know who you are" game, so I went along with it. About September, I heard that Scopeman's Dad had died, and I felt bad for him. I knew what it was like to lose a parent, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, so I decided that the next time I saw him, I would try to make things better between us. At the annual Pig Roast in October, I finally got the chance to talk to him. I told him I was sorry to hear about his Dad and we made small talk for a few minutes. It wasn't much, but it was a start.

Now, to this year's Party....

I knew Scopeman would be there, and even though I had spoken to him at the Pig Roast, I wanted to make sure that he knew I no longer blamed him for what had happened in the past. I didn't get a chance to talk to him until late in the evening. Almost everyone else had left, and he asked (again) if he could buy my a drink. (Again) I agreed, and we sat down to talk. Forever later, I looked at my phone and realized what time it was. He walked me to my car, and I finally got a chance to tell him what I had been wanting to--that what's in the past is past, and we needed to just start over. I gave him a hug, and if he lingered just a tad, I didn't object. He made it a point to say he'd see me at work sometime this week, and then I left (because it was freaking freezing and open toed shoes, as cute as they are, don't do well in the cold).

Now, I don't know what's going on between Scopeman and me. I don't have any idea what all that stuff Friday night mean, and I don't have any idea what I want it to mean. I wanted to make things right with him, which I did, so whatever else happens is just bonus. Part of me just wants to leave it at that, but then the part of my brain which watches sappy romantic movies kicks in with "But you haven't been on a date in two years, so maybe you should stop looking Gift Horses in the mouth." I have no idea, but so far Scopeman hasn't showed up at work. Still, I've gotten more action at the last two Holiday Parties that I have in the rest of both years combined, so maybe this work party thing is a good plan....

Oh yes, and the ugliest Christmas Wreath in the History of the World courtsey of my ex-neighbor. I particulary like the fuzzy antlers in the middle.



No comments: