Monday, March 17, 2008

Care to Dance?

So, I was totally going to try and not talk about basketball today (other than to say that UK got in, yay!) but then I realized that what I wanted to talk about (Dancing with the Stars) still involved dancing. So I figured a little more basketball talk would be okay since everyone who knows me knows that I pretty much eat, sleep, and breath college basketball, especially this time of year. Don't get me wrong, I love football, and swimming will always be close to my heart (I'm so looking forward to the summer games in Beijing this year--go Phelps!), but college basketball was my first love.

I grew up on college basketball--Kentucky wildcat basketball actually. I wanted to be a UK basketball player when I grew up, until someone pointed out that girls and boys don't get to play together in college (not to mention that I was kind of awful at basketball anyway). Then I decided that I would just marry a basketball player, namely Travis Ford (which was apparently not uncommon for girls growing up in the Commonwealth during those years). Finally, I had to settle for just watching UK play as much as humanly possible. Still, that seems to have spilled over into an all out love of the college game. I can't help myself, I just love to watch it, no matter who is playing. And especially this time of year, I can't get enough.

Dick Vitale (I know, you love him or hate him) said on the selection show last night that the next three weeks are the greatest three weeks of the year, and I'd have to agree with him, only I'd say that you'd have to include last week in that as well. You really just can't beat college basketball post-season play. After all, when else do you get to watch a team like Georgia, who won all of 4 games all year in conference play, win 4 games in four days and earn a ticket to the NCAA tournament? Or see a team like Clemson knock off Duke (oh yeah, it's always a good day when Duke loses) and then play UNC to the wire? Can't beat it.

But, I promise, that at the end of the next three weeks, I will go back to talking about something else. I will. I swear.

Oh yeah, and I am totally in love with Mario on Dancing with the Stars this year. I am totally going to be cheering for him and Marlee Matlin this season, especially in the absence of Maksim and his hotness.

No comments: