Sunday, March 2, 2008

More Knitting Updates

In the absence of anything else to say, I figured I'd give you a few more updates on some of the stuff I've been busy making.

First, a lovely skein of yarn that Hannah gave me for Christmas. She says I have to makes something for ME from it, but I haven't found the right pattern yet. It's too pretty to waste.


And few more FOs that I took pictures of this weekend:

The Foliage hat from Knitty's Fall 07 knitted in Cascade Chunky on size 10.5 Circs/DPNs with size 9 Circs for the ribbing.


And a Hat/Scarf set done in mistake rib loosely based on the Urban Urchin pattern from the Stitch 'n Bitch Page a Day Calendar. The Yarn is the most wonderful stuff I've used to date, and I love the way it knitted up on the scarf, even though I had a minor color issues with one skein. It was the same dye lot as the others, the colors were just a bit off. It's not as noticeable in the finished product, however.

And an ear flap hat that I made for me from a pattern in Last Minute Knitted Gifts, but it's too small, so it will probably get gifted to someone who doesn't have a ginormous head.


Finally, this weekend, I played around with more Kool Aid Yarn dyeing. I tested out a few new colors: Blastin' Berry Cherry and Slammin' Strawberry Kiwi as well as Disney Splashers Grape, Tropical Punch, and Black Cherry. I also tried mixing some colors making a Grape/Berry Blue mix and a Grape/Watermelon Cherry mix.

Left to Right: Disney Grape, Disney Tropical Punch, Disney Black Cherry, Blastin' Berry Cherry, Slammin' Strawberry Kiwi, Grape/Berry Blue, Grape/Watermelon Cherry

I really like the Disney Black Cherry, it's a very nice Deep red color, much more so than the Kool Aid Black Cherry. The Disney Grape was darker than the Kool Aid version--it was actually closer to the Grape/Watermelon Cherry mixture than the Kool Aid Grape. The Disney Tropical Punch was a pinky red, not too far off from the Kool Aid version. I really liked the Blastin' Berry Cherry. It turned out a great bright red color. The Strawberry Kiwi was just a slightly darker version of the Pink Lemon aid color, so that could be useful as well.

Above, Disney Grape, Kool Aid Grape, Grape/Berry Blue, Grape/Watermelon Strawberry

When I compared the two Grape colors with the two Grape Mixtures, I was pleased to see that it gave a variety of purples. The Grape/Berry Blue was a nice dark blue/purple, although I was hoping it would be just a bit more blue. Still, it is a great color. I'll have to experiment more.

I also dyed and entire skein of yarn using the method found here. I used Ice Blue Raspberry Lemon aid as my base color and Cherry, Lemon-Lime, Mandarin Tangerine, and Berry Blue as my accent colors. As soon as it is dry, I'll try to get a picture of it up, but it turned out great! I can't wait to see how it knits up.

No comments: