Thursday, March 6, 2008

If You Have Something of Importance to Say, for God's Sake Start at the End

So apparently, even though it is now March 6th, the weatherman (I'm looking at you Bill Meck) didn't get the memo that spring should be on it's way. If you listen to any weather report this week, you will hear that the world is going to end tomorrow. Seriously. It has been nice knowing all of you.

Okay, so maybe it won't be that bad, but I'd wager that there won't be a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk left anywhere in this city by tomorrow morning. Because, that's what we do when they are calling for snow or ice, we go out and by large quantities of bread and milk. Now, I have a full gallon of milk and an entire loaf of bread already in my kitchen at home (purchased on Sunday because I needed them, not because they were calling for snow), so I'm set once I get some toilet paper this afternoon, but what I can't figure out is why we all think we need to stock up on bread and milk for a snow storm. Really, if I am going to be snowed (or iced) into my apartment for a week, I want some good stuff to eat--steaks, wine, popcorn, ice cream, mac and cheese--not lame old bread and milk. And while I know that bread and milk are staples of many people's diets, I really don't eat all that much of either, as evidenced by the fact that the milk and bread I bought on Sunday are still untouched.

Still, it does look like we are going to get some form of winter weather starting tomorrow, although even Bill Meck can't tell us what kind or how much. At least this storm isn't hitting on a Tuesday like every other storm this winter has, and at least I don't have anything majorly critical going on at work tomorrow so if they do decided that the roads are getting bad and let us leave early (like they did a few weeks ago), I can actually leave this time. See, the thing about having a job is that unlike when you are in school and they decided to let out early, you can't just leave if you are in the middle of an experiment--especially in the middle of an experiment that you've spent the better part of the last three days working on. So, while everyone else got to go home at 2, yours truly was left hanging around until almost 4 because I had stuff to do. Oh well, such is life I guess.

No comments: